Thursday, April 9, 2009

My Yoga Gurus


One of my favorite aspects of vacation is having the time and space to invigorate my personal yoga practice. Thought I'd reflect here on some of the teachers for whom I have the most gratitude.


Ana Forrest has been my greatest influence recently. Since the birth of my second child, I've found her work to be the most deep, transformative and challenging. There is something about her original insights into emotional holding, opening the back and shoulders, and surfing gravity that really worked for me post-partum. Unfortunately, Ana is not in the Bay Area much this year, but perhaps she is near you somewhere.

Something about Ana reminds me of Madonna. Can't quite put my finger on it... both fierce and narcissistic? Original and cunning? Totally hot at 50?


Another fave is Shiva Rea. She is such a kind person and actually embodies many of the precepts we yogis are supposed to live by.


I'd love to house swap with someone in Venice and go to her studio daily for classes. But what to do with the kids? And the husband?


For those looking for a local teacher here in Berkeley, check out Michelle Cordero. She is a great friend, and an awesome teacher. She is teaching a great upcoming workshop with Dr. Derek Abbassi on June 20, 2009 at Mountain Yoga, entitled "Yoga for Restoring Energy & Libido."

No comments:

Gottfried Center for Integrative Medicine's Fan Box

About Me

My photo
I'm an organic gynecologist, yoga teacher + writer. I earn a living partnering with women to get them vital and self-realized again. We're born that way, but often fall off the path. Let's take your lousy mood and fatigue, and transform it into something sacred and useful.