Thursday, March 11, 2010

Making the Case for Pleasure


Today I was having one of those, "If only..." reveries. You know the type - if only we lived in Point Reyes and I didn't have to see so many patients, if only we didn't have to fret so much over meeting our bloated budget and retirement and could do the work we most love, if only I could teach yoga more, blah blah blah. It's a trap. Where we are is where we most can create abiding pleasure and contentment. Don't wait for things to change.

It's time to play. Thank you, Mae.

Here's the case for pleasure as articulated by Mae West.
I felt it was time to play. Most of my thoughts, time and energy had gone into creative effort. And this restriction of the love drive, the headshrinkers will tell you, is the greatest urge one really has. When one sublimates the sex drive info creative work it puts a person in high gear, mentally. I admit it. But it is against my nature to bottle up the biological plans of pleasure for any length of time. I hope I don't sound as if I have discovered the secret salve that soothes the universe, but I do want to add my small footnote on the subject.

No comments:

Gottfried Center for Integrative Medicine's Fan Box

About Me

My photo
I'm an organic gynecologist, yoga teacher + writer. I earn a living partnering with women to get them vital and self-realized again. We're born that way, but often fall off the path. Let's take your lousy mood and fatigue, and transform it into something sacred and useful.